Craft (farm) Alcoholic Beverage Producer Off-Site Tastings

You need a marketing permit to do tastings away from your brewery, winery or cidery. You may apply for a one time or a three year permit. It is an online application and you can probably do it without using an attorney or consultant. There are a handful of permits that are easy to DIY and this is one of them.

Tastings and bottle sales can be conducted at:

  1. An establishment licensed under the ABCL to sell at retail the alcoholic beverage that will be tasted; (ex. stores, beer stores, bars, restaurants)
  2. The State Fair, recognized county fairs and farmers markets operated on a not-for-profit basis (outdoor or indoor)
  3. Other indoor or outdoor events specifically approved by the Authority
  4. Permission of SLA

To hold a tasting at a place without a license, you need to get permission from the SLA. You need the marketing permit in place and then send details of the event to them 15 days before the event for consent.  They will contact the licensee if the SLA has questions.  If it hears nothing, it is good to go and considered approved.

While a licensee may charge for samples at its premises, it cannot when it does off-site tastings.

A marketing permit holder cannot charge for samples. Limitation on size of samples used for tastings:

In the case of beer, wine products and cider, to 3 ounces or less.

In the case of wine, to 2 ounces; and

In the case of liquor, to one-quarter ounce.

This permit authorizes a licensed in state supplier (including farm breweries, cideries, wineries and distilleries) to do tastings (using product from the applicant’s inventory), to take orders for, and to market product in accordance with the provisions of the Authority’s Consent Orders.  Advisory #2013-6 provides some detailed information.

This permit is subject to the following conditions:

  1. The supplier will obtain a transportation permit or contract with a company that has a transportation permit in order to transport the alcoholic beverages to the even site. Farm licensees do not need a transportation permit if they use a vehicle registered to the licensee or one of its owners.
  2. No fee shall be charged by the supplier to a consumer attending or participating in such event.
  3. Each sample shall be limited to: in the case of beer, wine products and cider, to 3 ounces or less; in the case of wine, to 2 ounces; and in the case of liquor, to one-quarter ounce.
  4. Liquor and wine used for tastings do not have to be price posted items. Liquor and wine used for sales by the bottle must be price posted.