Could Your Company Morale and Productivity Use A Boost?
Like all businesses, we have our ups and downs. We had a morale problem that was affecting productivity and quality. We immediately went to work to turn things around so we could deliver our best to our clients and create a great place to work. Here’s what we did:
- First, we got rid of “dead weight” employees. (You know the ones with poor work ethic and minimal contribution to the team’s results. This was huge for moving morale and productivity in the right direction.
- We added new key hires which raised the bar. We learned that terminating the non-contributing staff made way for better team members.
- We involved everyone as a key participant in our transition.
- I committed to be transparent about our financial performance.
- We made automation and efficiency a priority.
- We developed procedures to streamline work flow.
- We adopted a no-tolerance policy for negative attitudes and conversations.
- We made sure that we had “A” team players on our bus, and that everyone was in the right seat on the bus. In other words, we made sure that each team member was assigned tasks best suited to his or her skills.
It took only a few weeks to notice the change. We know this is a continuing process for us but we are genuinely creating a place we’d all like to work. Maybe someday we’ll make one of those lists for best places to work in Rochester!
About Tracy Jong
Her book Everything You Need To Know About Obtaining and Maintaining a New York Retail Liquor License: The Definitive Guide to Navigating the State Liquor Authority will be available next month on Amazon.com as a softcover and Kindle e-book.
Her legal column is available in The Equipped Brewer, a publication giving business advice, trends, and vendor reviews to help craft breweries, cideries, distilleries and wineries build brands and succeed financially.
She also maintains a website and blog with practical information on legal and business issues affecting the industry. Follow her, sign up for her free firm app or monthly newsletter.
Facebook: Tracy Jong Law Firm
LinkedIn: Tracy Jong
Tracy Jong Law Firm